Buildings in the National Register of Historic Places
Tulsa Municipal Building
124 East 4th Street (map it)
The old City Hall, first occupied in 1917, served Tulsa all of the years that it was energetically building its claim as "Oil Capital." Ironically, Tulsa succeeded in establishing this claim, eventually outgrowing the handsome old Neo-Classic building. In 1969, it was vacated.
Tulsa’s old Municipal Building has a generally Greek Classic facade. Its principal elevation features two-story, fluted Ionic columns. The simplified columns on the east and west elevations are modified Tuscan. Walls of the four-story building are of gray, 36-inch cut stone. Interior walls in public areas are faced with marble. The exterior has been left virtually unchanged, though doors and windows have been changed. The major addition is a new red-brick plaza, keeping with the old brick streets of the period in which the building was erected.
The Tulsa Municipal Building was listed in the National Register on July 18, 1975. It was listed under National Register Criterion C, and its NRIS number is 75001574.