Buildings in the National Register of Historic Places

Pierce Block

301 East 3rd Street  (map it)

Built: 1909

Pierce Block

This Plains Commercial style building combined residential and retail sales uses in the same building for the first time in Tulsa. Its storefront windows have clerestories above which were later enclosed.

Pierce Block is the earliest post-statehood hotel remaining in Tulsa and one of the few buildings of that era to survive the 1920s building boom in the Central Business District. The Pierce Block’s commercial rooms and retail stores, located a few blocks west of the Midland Valley railroad depot at 3rd Street and Greenwood Avenue, were a direct attempt to capitalize on the oil money flowing through Tulsa after the 1905 Glenn Pool oil strike.

The Mammoth Credit Company Clothing Store occupied the retail space until 1929. During the depression and war years a succession of shops — including a paint and wallpaper company, a vending machine company, a display sales company, and a billiard parlor — called the Pierce Block home. Beginning in 1948, printing companies were the major tenant for several decades. Most recently, the Pierce Block housed offices for a local television station.

The Pierce Block was listed in the National Register on December 11, 1979. It was listed under National Register Criteria A and C, and its NRIS number is 79002033.


View Larger Map

« Back to Buildings in the National Register of Historic Places