Buildings in the National Register of Historic Places

Petroleum Building

420 South Boulder Avenue  (map it)

Built: 1921

Petroleum Building

This ten-story building is a rectangular steel and reinforced concrete building faced with buff brick. Horizontal stone bands above the mezzanine and on the second and eighth stories balance the verticality of the paired double-hung windows, which are set off by brick piers. Cartouches above the second and eighth stories soften the building’s straight lines. A dentiled cornice tops the building. The stone-faced base has twelve store fronts and two canopied entrances to the store and elevator lobby. Although examples of this type of architecture were numerous in Tulsa’s past, only a handful remain today.

The Petroleum Building was so named because the majority of its early tenants were associated with the petroleum industry. It is especially identified with the Mayo family because it housed the Mayo Furniture store for over fifty years. The Mayo brothers, with their real estate holdings, furniture store, and deluxe hotel, were included among Tulsa’s foremost promoters. Until his death, C. A. Mayo maintained offices in the building. It is a typical office building which retains its simple facade dating from Tulsa’s pre-Art Deco construction boom period.

The Petroleum Building was listed in the National Register on April 15, 1982. It was listed under National Register Criteria B and C, and its NRIS number is 82003706.


View Larger Map

« Back to Buildings in the National Register of Historic Places