Buildings in the National Register of Historic Places
1322 South Guthrie Avenue (map it)
The Clinton-Hardy House has a strong New England flavor. The exterior lapped siding, simple rectangular shape, gable roof, and exterior trim work all evoke an image of 18th century colonial America. The symmetrical main block of the house carefully directs the eye to a Georgian entrance with flanking Doric columns, arched pediment, and dentil trim. The entrance door, sidelights, and fan light are actually older than the house itself, having been brought to Tulsa from a pre-Civil War residence in the French Quarter of New Orleans while construction was under way.
The house has significance for its role in the development of Tulsa, specifically its influence in directing Tulsa’s growth to the south of the downtown district. It was designed by George Winkler, an architect who rarely worked in residential architecture. The Clinton house was one of the first two of any size to be built on the bluff overlooking the Arkansas River south of the business area. Prior to its construction, the more prominent individuals built their homes either to the north of downtown or the near southeast. The result of Clinton’s move was the completion of Galveston and Guthrie Avenues with several other period houses of architectural importance. The Skellys, McBirneys, and others prominent in oil and banking were frequent guests in the house. Amelia Earhart was a guest in this house in 1934.
The Clinton-Hardy House was listed in the National Register on January 23, 1979. It was listed under National Register Criteria C, and its NRIS number is 79002027.